2014 Ranking: How "American-made" is a car or light truck?
The 2014 Kogod Made in America Auto Index, recently released by American University’s Kogod School of Business, ranks this year’s cars and light trucks by how “American-made” they really are. The results are sure to be gratifying to U.S.-based manufacturers, not to mention helpful to car buyers interested in knowing where their purchase was made.
Chrysler, Ford, and General Motors dominated the report’s rankings, accounting for each of the top 28 vehicles and 40 out of the top 51. This includes the top pick-ups (and four out of the top six), the top 13 sedans (and 17 of top 20), and the top 12 SUVs (and 16 of the top 20).
The index is authored by Frank DuBois, a global supply chain management expert and associate professor at American University. The ranking, now in its second year, stemmed from Professor DuBois' academic paper, “Evaluating Made in America, a critique of the American Automotive Labeling Act and a Proposed Alternative.” His study was presented last July at the Academy of International Business in Istanbul, Turkey.
More comprehensive than other studies of its kind, this index measures each model on a scale of 1 to 100, with points based on where its R&D is performed, where the vehicle is assembled, where its engine and transmission are produced, how many domestic parts it contains, and where the automaker's HQ is based.
To view the complete 2014 Kogod Made in America auto index, click here.
Related recent Blogs
- Trade Data Pours Cold Water on "Rising Star" Outlook for American Manufacturing • by mmcmullan • 08/21/2014
- U.S. Named Among “Rising Global Stars” in Manufacturing • by elizabethbb • 08/20/2014
- If America Won’t Invest in America’s Infrastructure, China Will • by elizabethbb • 08/19/2014
- Yes, Manufacturing Jobs Are Coming Back. But Will Progress Happen Fast Enough? • by elizabethbb • 08/18/2014
- No Electricity Needed for Corter Leather & Cloth • by elizabethbb • 08/15/2014
- Improving Our Railways: A Key Part of Rebuilding America • by elizabethbb • 08/14/2014
- Five Tests Walmart Must Pass to Show its 'Made In America' Street Cred • by spaul • 08/13/2014
- More Evidence the "Jobs Recovery" Isn’t All It’s Cracked Up to Be • by elizabethbb • 08/12/2014
- More Work to Do, Indeed • by elizabethbb • 08/11/2014
- August 11, 2014: Chinese Textile Manufacturing ... in the Carolinas • by mmcmullan • 08/11/2014