“I hiked the Grand Canyon and all I got was a keychain made in China.”
When the souvenir stores in America’s national parks sell mostly Made in China trinkets, who loses?
“All of us,” says Wendy Rosen, founder of the American Made Alliance. Rosen will travel to the Grand Canyon on Memorial Day Weekend to lead a demonstration calling on National Park Service concession stores to carry more authentic American-made products.
National Park Service concessioners have won the privilege to do business on federal land, but they have turned their backs on hundreds of American and Native American enterprises that desperately need manufacturing work to sustain families and communities. At a time when unemployment for these entrepreneurs is at a record high, and some tribal unemployment has reached 50 percent, National Park concessions could be creating jobs by putting authentic American-made merchandise on their store shelves.
The demonstration is sponsored by the non-profit American Made Alliance, a trade group that works to open new market opportunities for American-made products; preserve the authenticity of American-made goods; prevent fraud regarding country of origin; and inform legislators and consumers about the importance of and economic impact of supporting American-made products and their producers.
Related recent Blogs
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- OPINION: Aren't we better off buying safe, Made-in-USA products? • by scapozzola • 05/16/2013
- May 16, 2013 Headlines: factory collapses in Cambodia, U.S. retail industry dismisses plan for safer working conditions, & more • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- U.S. Senate Passes Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) with Buy America Amendment Included. • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- And the crystal ball says that U.S. manufacturing is going up/down/sideways... • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- Japan's currency moves are heating up a trade problem • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- Oregon construction group pushes for Made in America • by scapozzola • 05/14/2013